When it comes to fitness and weight loss there is so much information available in the blogosphere that it’s truly hard to know where to start. I suppose it all boils down to what resonates best with you once you find a few reputable sources of information. You could choose between a bodyweight workout plan, exercises that you can do at home without the need for fitness equipment or you could choose a full on gym program to help you lose weight.
Whichever road you choose to follow it’s good to have a map to help you stay the course and ensure you will safely reach your destination in good time, with the minimum amount of detours. And why not enjoy the scenery in the meantime?
Here is my secret recipe that will allow you to achieve your fitness and weight loss goals regardless of whether you choose to work with me or not:
In order to prepare yourself for your transformational journey you need to take some time out and think deeply about the project that you wish to undertake. The way in which you frame this will be key to your chances of success. How long you will need to complete it is entirely up to you and must fit in with your needs and wants but I do urge you to stop and reflect before you take action. Getting clarity on the reasons why you want to do this will help you stay the course until the end.
This also depends entirely on you, where you are starting at and where you want to get to. You may be surprised to learn that it can take different people the same amount of time to shed 10 Kgs of body weight as to lose 2Kgs of body fat. It’s all down to your metabolism, health and determination. Having said this I recommend you give yourself a minimum of three months to see some major results and not be tempted by dubious programs that promise to help you lose weight fast. The human metabolism is an incredibly complicated and exquisitely sophisticated machine, it doesn’t work in a linear manner and when you think nothing’s happening there might be a lot going on in the background that you are not aware of. Consider this an exercise in faith as much as a game of strategy.
This is for you and only you.
To succeed at a fitness makeover project you will need a few fundamental ingredients:
- Knowing what you want to achieve. AKA a goal.
- A good reason for wanting to achieve that goal (your WHY).
- Letting go of all the stories that have kept you stuck where you are currently at.
- An open mind.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes.
- A hefty does of commitment to yourself.
- A large serving of integrity with a sprinkling of honesty.
- A bucket load of self love.
- Compassion and forgiveness for when you mess up.
- A pinch of enthusiasm.
- Nice shoes. You can never get tired of wearing nice trainers. 😉
You will also need
- A place to exercise. This could be your front room, your garden, your bedroom, your home gym, your shed, a proper gym… but you will need some place where you can exercise safely and confidently.
- Suitable clothing. There is nothing worse than having to work out in clothes that aren’t good for the job. Anything that’s tight and unyielding can’t be used for this purpose. Choose garments that will cover up all the bits you don’t like about yourself (yet) so you don’t have to worry about seeing them. Of course if you exercise at home I wholeheartedly recommend doing so in the buff at least once when nobody is watching. It’s just… awesome!
- Fitness equipment. If you choose to exercise in your home all you need are 3 items: a yoga mat (your gym floor), a swiss ball (your bench) and a pair of dumbbells with adjustable weights.
- Lots of water.
- A great nutritional plan.
- An even better supplements plan.
- A solid exercise plan.
- A lifestyle overhaul to make sure you change the bits that work against you and enrich those that already work for you.
- A few good friends to provide moral support and document your progress. Enemies are also good for this purpose: the greener they get when they see you, the better you are doing. Trust me on this.
On a large piece of paper (A3 at least) draw a map of your current lifestyle. It doesn’t have to be too detailed but you want to include the typical amount of time that you spend asleep at night, the time you spend commuting to and from work, any activities that you do after work, socialising, how much time you spend cooking, eating out, walking the dog, pulling a length of string to entertain your cats, riding your horse, etc. You can do this in the form of a timeline or an agenda. Whatever works for you.
Next grab some index cards or post-it notes and write down the most important elements of your chosen program. For example: say you have green tickets for exercise and your program requires you to do a 30 minutes workout 3 times per week. On three green tickets write down “workout, 30 min”. Look at your lifestyle map and see where you can fit your exercise tickets. Ideally these will go in at the same time Mon-Wed-Fri but of course this has to work for you so put them where you are willing to fit them in.
Do the same for your meals and for any daily activities that are part of your program, like walking for example. Add a few blue tickets to remind you to drink more water throughout the day. When you have finished you can either hang the new and upgraded lifestyle map on the wall OR take a picture and refer to it whenever you need/want to.
Go and execute the plan. And… voila’!
If you really struggle to find spaces for your tickets you need to make a choice: either find a less demanding program or let go of some activities that don’t suit you at this time. Or maybe, if you find yourself resisting making any such changes, you may want to consider that you are not ready to do this and it would be a good idea to postpone the project to a later time when you will be excited and looking forward to re-organise your schedule.
Sometimes what the head thinks it wants isn’t necessarily what the heart is willing to do. Just let it be and wait for a better moment. It will come.
Whatever fat loss and exercise program you choose to follow these are the steps you need to take to make sure it fits in with your lifestyle. If you succeed at making a workable plan I can promise you that sticking to it is going to feel like a sweet Summer breeze. The truth is that weight loss and fitness makeovers aren’t that dissimilar from any other project you may undertake in your every day life: whether it’s work, house renovations, a wedding, cooking, a trip, etc. The more thorough your planning is, the easier the execution will be and the greater the chances of success. In fact, make the last one almost a given that you will succeed.
BUT you still have to do the work to make it work. Don’t forget that.
If you need help making an awesome Fitness Makeover plan all you have to do is book a complimentary 30 min breakthrough call and I will gladly give you some pointers to get you started. Don’t hesitate, book your call now!
Image top right by stockimages on FreeDigitalPhotos.net